The Rivertowns Teen Benefit for Coronavirus Relief is a virtual benefit and auction completely run by local teens. The benefit consists of a collection of performances sharing the gifts and talents of teenagers from Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and Irvington with the purpose of supporting struggling local families during the pandemic. Our auction proudly showcases goods, services, and works of art donated by local teens, community members, and small businesses. All proceeds of the event will be shared between Family-to-Family in Hastings and South Church supporting the Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry.
After watching my summer plans get cancelled, I was looking for a way to help with coronavirus relief this summer without putting my health or my family's health at risk. I have participated in many teen benefits at South Church in the past, and I had the idea to host a similar event online to raise money for local charities. I also thought it would be a great activity for local teens to take part in while maintaining social distancing. I can't wait for you guys to see all of the amazing performances we have lined up!
- Anya van Hoogstraten, Producer
Naomi van Hoogstraten, Josie Rohan, and Kate Jones at South's Teen Benefit, 2020.
Family-to-Family, Inc. is raising funds to support and assist a growing number of families across the country and locally (about 700 families or approximately 2,800 moms, dads, kids and seniors) who cannot put food on their tables because of job losses due to Covid-19. Every day they are receiving new applications from families in need who they add to their program, then providing each family with groceries from a food bank, or with a grocery store gift card. F-to-F started doubling groceries and gift cards for very large families, ensuring that they receive twice as much food.
Locally, they are:
1. Sponsoring close to 80 families in Hastings and Dobbs Ferry with monthly grocery store gift cards
2. Providing $50 gift cards every week for as long as school is closed to Hastings school children and their families who were receiving free or reduced-price lunches. (The idea is to make up for the meals they were receiving at school. F-to-F hopes to continue this through the summer and beyond, if needed.)
3. Keeping the Hastings Food Pantry shelves stocked with food items, cleaning products, personal hygiene products, paper goods, diapers, and more by purchasing all needed items weekly or bi-weekly.
4. Providing $25 gift cards to families in need and seniors for perishable foods not available at the pantry.
5. Providing Breakfast Boxes and funding Meals On Wheels lunches for local senior citizens.
South Church: Home of the Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry
In response to the growing demand for food assistance in the Rivertowns, The Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry at South Presbyterian Church formed in January of 2011. The Pantry serves everyone who expresses need, regardless of residency status, religious belief or affiliation. The Pantry is hosted by South Church and run by dedicated volunteers from Dobbs Ferry, Hastings on Hudson and Ardsley. The Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry normally feeds 25 families. Since covid-19, it is feeding 119 local families and counting. South Church also provides fresh food from its community garden and CSA program to the Food Pantry.